Have you had this happen? You buy an expensive luxury candle that smells and looks incredible. You light it up excitedly and wait for it to start spreading wondrous smells into your home… and it doesn’t. In fact, the only time you smell it is when you stand right over it. How frustrating! So we love getting asked, ‘which candles have the strongest throw?’
The ‘throw’ or ‘smelliness’ of your candle depends on many factors – the type of wax, the actual strength of the fragrance, the size of the jar and the size of the room and how long you have been burning it for.
1. The type of wax – some types of wax (e.g. soy & paraffin) throw differently when compared to each other.
2. Strength of the fragrance – some fragrances are designed to fill a room with its fragrance almost instantly. Some on the other hand are more subtle and you may only get a hint of the smell. For a small enclosed space like a cubicle or bathroom, a very strong candle may not be the right choice.
3. The size of the room – do not expect a small candle to fill a large lounge room. But you could get a large candle (e.g. Trudon’s Great 3kg /105 oz candle) to fill an expansive space, like two-storey house, a for a longer period.
4. Length of time of burning – after around 10 minutes or so we experience what we call ‘sensory overload’ or ‘olfactory fatigue’. This means our brains have had enough of one particular smell and switch our brain off so we no longer smell it. So if you can no longer smell the candle it does not mean the scent has disappeared, more than likely your brain has had enough. Leave the room for 10 minutes, take a breather in your balcony, and go back in and you will notice the smell again
We’ve tried dozens of luxury and bougie candles for you and have come up with our definitive favorites. Here’s our guide to the 5 luxury candles with the strongest throw.
1. Le Labo: Verveine 32 Candle
The Verveine 32 scented candle smells as good as it looks. And it looks so, so cool. The fragrance is calm. Peaceful. Almost meditative. Built on the fresh, lemony verbena leaf it has kaffir lime on top, plus a blend of eucalyptus, galbanum, and violet leaves, with aromatic woods holding it all together. The scent is lovely and lasts even when the candle is not burning.
2. Diptyque: Tuberose Candle
Diptyque’s Tuberose candle has an intoxicating, beguiling white Mexican flower fragrance. The scent is clean, powdery floral. It is one of the cleanest and strongest throws Diptyque has. The throw stays around for a while even after blowing off the candle.
3. Byredo: Bibliothèque
The Byredo Bibliotheque is a wonderfully atmospheric fragrance that recalls leather-bound books on dark wood shelves, it has top notes of peach and plum, heart notes of peony and violet, and a distinctive base of leather, patchouli, and vanilla. Even the small size packs a punch – the throw really travels and envelopes a space.
4. Trudon: Abd El Kader
Cire Trudon, the oldest candlemakers in the world, hits it out of the park with their Abd El Kader scented candle. Scents of freedom blowing from the Mascara coast and the mountains twist spearmint, hot and spicy ginger and clove, and the perfume of tea and tobacco. Elegant and intoxicating, this candle has the strongest throw in Trudon’s range.
5. Nudesse: Overose
These iconic candles from Nudesse recall a fragrant rose garden after spring rainfall, notes of damascene rose and petrichor create the distinctly sweet and creamy honeyed aroma of the Nudesse candle. A scent that travels well, and spreads its throw strongly even just sitting at your work desk or dresser.
That brings us to the end of our list of luxury candles with the strongest throw in 2021. We hope that you found this article helpful. If you enjoyed it, be sure to share this on social media and comment with your favorite brands in the comments below.
Disclaimer: We only recommend products we would use ourselves and all opinions expressed here are our own. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on this website.